When is the last time you heard a clock chime, gong, or tick-tock? Taking the time to read the hands of an old-school analog clock face can bring immense pleasure. Or if you are into contemporary style, a silent modern digital clock in brilliant metal will give you a sense of timeliness. No matter, there is a clock type to suit your taste and needs.
Often brass or silver mechanism with ivory or white face enclosed by a glass dome. As its name suggests, it runs approximately a year without changing the battery or winding the key. For use on a mantel, shelf, and tabletop.
A metal face clock with a decorative wood case and handle on top. Tends toward traditional style. Square or rectangular in shape.
First created centuries ago for use in horse-drawn carriages, these clocks have a large handle at the top for holding. They are best used at the bedside or sofa side as they are smaller than most mantel clocks. Come in brass, gold, and silver casing with decorative faces and hands.
With its distinct camelback shape, this traditional clock is the most common type of mantel clock. It is most often made of smooth wood with a round clock face.
Made from wood or metal, these clocks keep time as well as additional measurement devices like air pressure and direction.
Can be vintage with alarm bells on top or digital with alarm speaker. Come in a variety of shapes and styles from traditional to contemporary. Ideal for setting at the bedside or on a table.
How to Select the Right Style of a Mantel or Tabletop Clock?
A myriad of clock styles to decorate your mantel, tabletops, and shelves can be found. Some have decorative faces, while others have cases made of pure brass. To help you determine the clock for you, consult the décor styles with correlating detail suggestions below.
- Traditional: Wood or metal casing, ornate detailing, decorative clock face with Roman numerals, accent legs or pedestal, handle top, glass dome. Analog.
- Contemporary: Analog or digital, numberless face, modern numerals if any, geometric or round shape, stainless or nickel casing.
- Vintage: Analog, round or oval case, brass or stainless finish, alarm bells on top, decorative face, roman numerals, rounded feet.
- Modern: Medium to light wood or leather casing, mid-century style, retro numerals, and slender hands. Analog.
- Antique: Pendulum style mechanism, wood or metal casing. Analog.
- Eclectic: Decorative themed faces and casing - nature, birds, flowers, sports, beach. Wood, metal, plastic. Digital or analog.