You don't miss it until you need it! Can you guess what we're talking about here? A step ladder!
Whether you're into vertical gardening, planted walls, or DIY home projects, or just need to fix things about the house now and then, a step ladder is useful to have.
Most step ladders only have steps or rungs on a single side but you can also find twin-ladders that have two sides. Most of the time, though, a simple A-frame design will be more than enough.
In this easy step ladder buyer's guide, we'll share with you some of the best step ladders you can buy online for use at home. Think simple, safe, easy to use ladders.
Uses of a Step Ladder
Need to change a bulb? Install a fan? Paint a molding? A step ladder is what you need.
But the possible uses of a step ladder don't stop there. If you live in a small apartment and have limited storage options, you can use a step ladder in more creative ways too.
For example, you can use a step ladder in the bedroom as a bedside table.
Or you can use a 3 step ladder as a plant stand on your patio.
A 4 step ladder can double up as a bookshelf.
A 2 step ladder can become a seat or footrest.
Step ladders are also great side tables for your bedroom.
Best Step Ladder for Indoor Gardens and DIY Projects
We've put together a list of the best step ladders available so you can find the right one for you. Explore now our recommendations.
1. Rubbermaid RM-2W Folding 2-Step Steel Frame
The Rubbermaid RM-2W 2-Step Steel Stool is a small but practical step ladder that's handy to have around the house. It doesn't require much storage space.
- Compact foldable design
- Measures only 19.1"
- Easy to store
- Has a 200-pound weight limit
The Rubbermaid Folding 2-Step Steel Frame Stool has non-damaging feet and comes with a comfortable handgrip.
It can reach a height of 8 feet and you can easily fold it for storage. It has a 200-pound weight limit which should be more than enough for most uses.
This is a simple and effective step ladder you can use for a long time without running into any issues
2. charaHOME Folding Portable Step Ladder with Safety Handrails
You're looking at a lightweight, compact, and dependable step ladder perfect for handling DIY projects and putting up holiday decorations or draping stringed garden lights around a patio.
- Withstands up to 500 pounds
- Foldable design saves space
- Safety lock improves stability
- Nice design all-round
- Side hand grip improves safety
- Includes a attachable tool bag
It's practical to use anytime and has 4 wide extensive steps with extra grip to avert slippage. You'll like the powder-coated finish and can hold up to 500 pounds.
This safety ladder with long, padded handrails on both sides provides a soft and comfortable grip you can rely on.
Its non-slip feet offer extensive security. It's stable on all types of flooring and is easy to store and transport since it can be folded.
3. Delxo Folding 4 Step Ladder With Plastic Cushion
Delxo 4-Step Steel Stool is completely assembled and ready to use. It's heavy-duty and has a maximum weight capacity of 330 lbs.
- Maximum load capacity of 330 pounds
- The distance between each step is 10"
- Handgrip lets you climb it easily
- Easy to store and transport
- The back cross brace adds to its stability
This ladder is a bit higher compared to other common stepping stools. It has the appropriate tallness for pruning, installing light bulbs, cleaning ceiling fixtures, and other "airy" activities.
4. Best Choice Products 4-Step Folding Ladder with Padded Handrails
If you're looking for a 3-step ladder that looks different from the average aluminum ladders, you may like this one. It has padded handrails and comes with an attachable hand tools bag that can make your life easier.
- Elegant black and white design stands out
- Can bear up to 330 pounds
- Nonslip feet provide good stability
- You can use it outdoors as well
- Foldable design saves space
- Large, anti-slip platforms make it easy to use
- Comes with attachable tool bag
Another feature we really like is the large, non-slip feet which provide very good stability. The foldable design is a good space saver, too.
5. Rubbermaid RM-3W Folding 3-Step Steel Frame
The Rubbermaid RM-3W 3-Step Steel Stool is a very comfortable three-step stool. If you need help in reaching out for items in tall places, this is a safe and dependable ladder.
- Foldable, so you can store and carry it easily
- Maximum load capacity is 200 pounds
- Good hand grip makes climbing it easier
- Solidly made plastic steps prevent slips
- Nice silver finish
Wide plastic steps can make a ladder easier to use, and that's one of the strong points of this product.
6. Cosco Three Step Max Steel Work Platform
The Cosco Three Step Max Steel Work Platform is an adaptable step ladder you can use for a wide range of DIY projects around the house and garden.
- Anti-slip step treads
- Fold and lock release
- Utility tray for placing tools, paints, or pails
- Huge leg tips and glides that can resist skids
The top step is vast and the grasp handle is broad. The utility tray can help you in accomplishing your tasks properly.
Regardless of what tasks you have such as cleaning, painting, or repairing, this can prove a reliable, durable step ladder your neighbors will want to borrow.
7. Best Choice Products Shade 3 Step Ladder
Best Choice Products Shade 3 Step Ladder is a heavy-duty product with a convenient tool tray and wide plastic steps.
- Convenient design
- Includes a tray
- Can be folded, so it won't need extra space for storage
- Made of high-quality HD steel
- Easy to transport
- Its rubber feet can resist skids
- 330 pounds maximum load capacity
We like the tray attached to it--you can place on it watering cans, shears, fertilizer bottlers, and other gardening or DIY tools and items.
Also, it doesn't take up too much space of storage since it can be folded.
8. Steel Folding Portable 4 Step Ladder
This portable 4 Step Ladder is lightweight, convenient, and solid. If you need a tall but stable ladder for common gardening or DIY tasks, it can be an affordable choice.
- With a maximum load capacity of 300 pounds
- Non-slip feet
- Can be reduced to its compact size when folded
- Easy to store and transport
- Wide steps provide good stability
Overall it's a safe and practical step ladder with grasped step treads to avoid any slippage. The steel coated powder finish is not bad either.
9. Delxo 3 Step Ladder Folding Step Stool
The Delxo 3-Step Steel Stool is already assembled so you can use it right away. It is a heavy-duty ladder that can withstand a 330-pound load.
- Broad steps ensure good support
- The handgrip is very convenient, making it easy to climb up to the last step
- Made of a solid metal frame with anti-slip steps
- It won't scratch your floors
Another dependable 3-stepper, this ladder is a good choice if you have thin flooring that's easy to scratch.
10. Delxo Lightweight Woodgrain 3 Step Ladder Ladder
Delxo Lightweight Woodgrain 3 Step Ladder Ladder comes with a simple locking mechanism and is easy to use and carry around as needed.
- Maximum load capacity of 330 pounds
- Can be folded easily for quick storage and transport
- With non-slip rubber feet that won't scratch your floor
- Has a nice design
We like that it's made of lightweight woodgrain aluminum and includes expansive non-slip elastic feet. The top platform is wide and locked securely so you can place both feet safely on it.
11. Louisville Ladder 4-Feet Fiberglass Stepladder
Our list ends with this red 4-feet Louisville fiberglass ladder which is lightweight and has a safe and convenient design that makes it easy to use in cramped or uncomfortable corners.
- Can support up to 300 pounds
- Nice vibrant design catches the eye (looks like a firefighter's tool)
- Very stable
- Pro top system enables you to keep various tools within range
- Heavy-duty braces
We like the top with paint bucket holder and other nifty features as well as the very good build quality. This is a handy ladder you can count on.
You can count on it indoors as well as outdoors, though make sure to store it in a dry place away from the sun and rain and other elements.
How to Choose the Best Step Ladder for You
Step ladders may all look alike, but small features can make a big difference. Imagine that you've just installed new floor tiles on your patio as well as a moss wall (assume you're into moss gardening).
If the ladder will scratch your flooring, that's going to be an issue. And what if it's not stable enough and there's nobody at home to hold it?
The bottom line is that you need the right step ladder for your needs. And that means taking a few things into account.
How to choose a Step Ladder
Step 1 - Measure the Height of the Ceiling
Celling height can vary widely between different buildings and the most stable step ladders are not necessarily adjustable.
Three step ladders can be too tall for some houses.
PS: Don't forget to factor in your own height!
Step 2 - Consider the Height of the Ladder
The most appropriate ladder for the job should have the right height. When using a stepladder, the maximum allowable standing level should be two steps starting from the top.
If you stand beyond this step then you might lose your balance and you'll fall down.
Step 3 - Choose the Ladder Style
Others come with top trays and other types of tool support--in other words, they make it easier for you to work atop them.
Other features like hand grip, width of steps, and type of legs are also important.
Manufacturers of ladders for indoor use optimize these to simplify use, improve stability, and prevent damage to flooring.
Step 4 - Consider the Material
Fiberglass and aluminum have become the standard materials in the industry. But their quality can differ widely. If you think you'll be using your ladder a lot, choose a heavy-duty ladder.
Step 5 - Don't Forget Load Capacity
Are you a heavy person? Will you be moving up and down heavy pots or wielding bulky watering cans?
Tip: Make sure your step ladder can handle at least 50 pounds more than the total weight of you in action. (Did anyone say weight loss tea?)
Step Ladder Commonly Asked Questions
Now here are some of the most frequent questions we've been hearing about step ladders. We hope that you find the answers useful and that they will help you make an inspired choice.
What is a step ladder used for?
What are the 3 types of ladders?
What is the best step ladder to buy?
What are the steps of the ladder called?
Get Practical... Ladder Up!
Step ladders are one of those practical DIY items you don't think about until you actually need them.
But if you're a DIY sort of person or enjoy indoor gardening, having a step ladder is a good idea. Otherwise, you may have to borrow one from your neighbors--or risk a fall climbing on chairs, couches, or other furniture.
But don't settle for just any step ladder. Choose one of the top-rated ones above to get a durable and easy to use product you can trust.
Do you already have a step ladder? Or are you planning to get your first one?
Let us know in the comments section below.
Either way, we're happy to hear you got the DIY spirit!