Aprons are significantly useful in the kitchen when it comes to keeping your clothes free from stains. Although they are simple, they come in a wide selection of materials, styles, and colors. Aprons can be both versatile and effective if you choose the right one.
Before purchasing an apron, there are certain aspects you should consider. A great apron has more to offer than keeping your clothes clean from food, such as storage and comfort. In this guide, you'll find practical tips to help you choose the best option for you and your kitchen.
What types of aprons are there?
The style of your apron will depend on the amount of coverage you need and the type of kitchen you're cooking in.
Bib aprons, also known as chef aprons, are the most popular ones. They offer full-body coverage from the torso to the knees, may feature pockets, and have ties that go around the neck and torso.
These types of aprons are suitable for dealing with spills and heat but can feel restricting when you move around the kitchen.
Waist aprons cover the hips which allow easy leg movement. They also come with front pockets.
Crossback aprons are versatile, doesn't feature straps, can fit different body types, and are easy to move in. These types of apron provide full-body coverage.
Vintage aprons often look like dresses, can protect your clothing, and are chic enough to be worn in front of guests. They also come in a wide variety of retro patterns and colors.
Which material is best for an apron?
The apron's material is the most important aspect to consider. It determines your apron's effectiveness and durability. Here are the most common fabrics:
- Cotton aprons are ideal for baking or cooking with dry ingredients since they aren't water-resistant nor waterproof. They also come in various colors and styles.
- Natural fibers such as linen can keep you cool in hot kitchens. Linen aprons are comfortable, breathable, and lightweight.
- Rubber and nylon are heavier and more durable than cotton. They are commonly used in industrial situations because of their sturdiness but you can also find styles that are appropriate for kitchens. Aprons made of rubber and nylon are mostly available in dark colors and are useful for dealing with liquids.
- Leather aprons only come in a few colors and styles. However, they are durable, long-lasting, and look good when cooking outside.
- Plastic aprons are available in fun colors and patterns and can be a good option for quick applications. Plastic isn't durable which makes it unfitting for people who cook a lot.
- Synthetic fibers such as polyester are easy to wash and are wrinkle-resistant. Despite that, aprons made from synthetic fibers aren't breathable.
What are the best colors and patterns for aprons?
Simple black aprons offer a classic and elegant look.
White aprons are classic and can be bleached if they get stained.
Dark colors such as brown and black can hide food stains effectively.
Choose a colorful apron or one with patterns if your kitchen has a color scheme. You can also pick a vibrant color if your kitchen has natural earth tones and looks simple.
Instead of picking out a plain white apron, red and gray aprons can also provide a bold look if you want to appear professional.
Show your personality through your apron by either going for wild prints or subtle patterns such as flowers. It all depends on what you like.
Other important features to consider when buying an apron:
Choose an apron with pockets if you move around a lot and want to keep recipes and utensils nearby.
If you're in a kitchen that heats up quickly, pick an apron that is breathable to keep you cool while cooking.
Aprons that are resistant to stains such as grease, oils, and wine are more favorable for cooks. Most aprons, besides heavier ones, are easy to clean in the washing machine.
Adjustable neck, shoulder, and waist ties allow the apron to sit close to your body without drooping. Adjustable straps are the best option for short and tall people. If waist ties are too restrictive for you, choose an apron with a loose pinafore.
If you like listening to music while cooking, opt for an apron with a built-in headphone loop to keep your earbuds from falling.
Check the apron's measurements to make sure it'll fit you well. Most types come in standard sizes.
Crossback aprons are adaptable to all sizes from small to large.