A dining bench is a simple yet effective way to introduce comfort and flexibility in your home. A bench is easy to interpret in either a formal dining area or a casual kitchen because of its various sizes, types, designs and colors.
Let this guide help you make the right decision and have a purchase you will not regret.
What Size Kitchen & Dining Benches should I Pick?
Before you decide on the size, have the width and height of your kitchen/dining space measured to avoid disappointment.
- An obvious thing to consider first is how many people you would like to seat and if a set of two benches would be better. A bench between 42 and 52 inches long will seat two adults or three kids comfortably.
- If you already have a table, you should aim for the bench to be roughly the table measurements from between the legs. And calculate the total footprint based on the bench aligned with the edge of the table so everyone can get to their seats.
- In case you want a bench that has a backrest, make sure it fits under windowsills and other panelling.
Here's a quick list of the main points made in the guide to help you come to a decision quicker:
- The most important thing to remember about dining and kitchen tables is size. They need to be roughly the table measurements from between the legs.
- The type of bench comes down to personal preference but also to the amount of space and kind of table you have. For smaller kitchen and dining areas a backless bench or interchangeable one fits best but if you can spare some extra space, you should opt for a full-length bench or corner one.
- Benches are usually made from wood, fabric or leather. Wood fits well with any set color scheme, leather adds a touch of elegance to a space and fabric ones are most popular with families with kids because they are easiest to maintain.
- A storage bench is never a bad idea, especially if you have a lot of bulky kitchen devices that clutter your countertop.